Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Timeline


By Michael Crichton
Michael Crichton is one of the best known science fiction writers of our time. He is famous for Jurassic Park, The Andromeda Strain and Congo. His latest work TimeLine is one of my favorites.

I think the novel was written from the perspective of making a movie and I m still waiting for the movie to come.

As one can infer from the very name itself, it’s all about Time Travel. I started the novel and till first half was really restless. The reason was that I bought it as science fiction, but what I was reading was history. Yes for first half I was literally confused and frustrated. I was wondering how Michael Crichton can do this to me. But, thank god I kept my patience. The story shuttles between modern 21st century and 14th century France, with team on scientists and archaeologists stuck in between.

But, as the story progressed from first half to the end, my frustrated confused face got smile. And I was just laughing at myself. “The Impatient Ass!!”

Here I picked lot of new concepts like Multiverse, time anomaly zones, and …………. In total I was more than satisfied on completion.

So, I will say be patient while reading it as the story gradually picks up the speed. And slowly you will find yourself visualizing the 14th century France around you. And again this novel made me wonder how can one like Isaac Asimov and Michael Crichton go to such a depth of the novel without actually practicing the field. Hats off!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the best work ever by Michael is Jurassic Park Series